Bulletin Board

EPA Renovator Training Classes
Find EPA Licensed Lead Safe Renovation Firms.

Vermont IRC Practices Classes
To find IRC certified contractor contact VT Dept. of Health at 1-800-439-8550.
IRC Compliance Statement Service - use this system to file your Compliance Statement on-line. For questions contact Vt Dept. of Health at 802-863-7220.

HEPA Vacuum Fact Sheet - Informational sheet on HEPA vacuums.

Checklist for Lead Paint Compliance

Lead PamphletProtect Your Family from Lead
Pamphlet CoverRenovate Right - The renovator notification pamphlet.
GuidebookLead Safety
Field Guide

Vermont's Inspection Repair Cleaning Practices —Course Manual -This manual has been updated to reflect the most recent changes to the Vermont lead regulations.. Reviewing this manual does not substitute for class attendance. To be IRC certified you must attend an approved IRC training class.

Notice to Occupants Poster

"Get the Lead Out of Vermont" Report
Attorney General William Sorrell and Acting Commissioner of Health Sharon Moffatt, RN, MSN, released the results of a year-long study of lead poisoning in Vermont.
"Don't Spread Lead Video

This video shows do-it-yourselfers how to safely handle small repairs or renovations in homes that contain lead paint.

Insert Demonstration Window Well Insert Demonstration
What exactly is a window well insert and what are appropriate materials to use?

Lead Links— A comprehensive listing of lead-related information on the web.
Burlington City Logo Burlington Lead Program— The City of Burlington manages a HUD grant to help property owners control lead paint hazards.

Changes to Vermont's Lead Paint Law and EMPs
The Vermont Legislature amended Title 18 as of July 1, 2008. The major changes are described in this document. Here are referenced documents Lead Hazards in Housing and Real Estate Transactions and the VT Lead Law.
Who We Are is part of a comprehensive lead awareness program administered by the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board.

Click here for an informational sheet on this program.

Assistance Available to Control Lead Paint Hazards
The Lead Hazard Reduction Program at the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board has financial and technical assistance available to reduce lead paint hazards in rental and owner occupied properties. For more information go to, click here for program brochure, or call 1-800-290-0527 or (802) 828-5064.

If you own, rent or work in a building built before 1978, chances are you're being exposed to lead.
How to reduce and eliminate the lead risk in your home.
What you need to know to protect yourself from lead.
How to work safely on older homes.

Where there's lead, there's liability. Here's what you can do to protect yourself and your tenants.

Childcare Provider

Here's what you can do to protect your daycare.

Attention Contractors Working in Vermont

Renovations that disturb painted surfaces in pre-1978 housing and day care centers are subject to a number of regulations, including the EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule and Vermont's lead paint law. EPA's RRP rule requires contractors to get trained and licensed, to work in a safe manner when disturbing lead paint, and to keep detailed records of their activities. Vermont's Essential Maintenance Practices (EMPs) law establishes a standard of care in older rental housing that includes property maintenance activities as well as safe practices when disturbing lead paint.

Who Should Become an EPA-licensed Renovation Contractor?

  • Contractors and painters who may work in pre-1978 housing or child- occupied facilities (schools, child care facilities, etc.)

  • Rental property owners or maintenance staff who do work that disturbs substantial amounts of paint on their pre-1978 properties

  • Who Should Obtain Certification in Vermont's Essential Maintenance Practices?

  • Owners, managers and maintenance staff of rental property built before 1978

  • Child care providers in pre-1978 buildings

  • Contractors and painters who may work in pre-1978 rental properties or childcare facilities

  • For more detail on the specifics of each regulation and the major differences, go HERE.


      Vt Housing Conservation Board
    Home | Lead Links | Lead Safety Field Guide
    Homeowners | Renters | Contractors | Landlords | Childcare Providers

    For more information, manually type in this address:; call 802-828-3250, or write: VHCB, 58 East State Street, Montpelier, VT 05602 “This website does not give, sell, or otherwise transfer any information including email addresses for the use in bulk communications such as bulk emails. Such use of any such information obtained at this website, any related website, or any website pointing to this notice is illegal and/or strictly prohibited.”